Sunday, May 4, 2014

A year ago today

-Sitting in a hospital 
holding the hand of a woman I'd know my entire life. 
Listening to monitors.
Starring at numbers.
Wish and hoping. 
Hugging my mother. 
Sitting with my best friends brother and 
Talking with his wife.
Trying my best to keep it together 
to stand by my friends side,
Because 
Through thick and through thin 
we've always been 

3nights we sat, my mother and I 
Begging her to squeeze our hands 
or bat an eye

Then a phone call from dad set my heart on fire 
My grandpa was sick
His situation seemed dire 
Not wanting him to miss the blessing of my child 
I threw together a simple celebration 

Not two hours before 
I revived a message
"Karen passed away peacefully, surrounded by family" 

I chose not to feel it
No tears would be shed, 
Until after my husband laid his hands on Eve's head 
Quietly I sat 
Hearing the sweet words
A blessing of a life just beginning 
Sitting next to a man whose life would, all too soon, be ending 

Sleep deprived and overwhelmed 
I sat numbly and watched 
Suddenly I felt a sweet presence 
A peaceful happiness 
as I looked at my child 
And I'm sure she was there 
From heaven she came
To be part of this moment 
To ease some of my pain

So much happened in so little of time
Too much to process
Too much to feel 
Holding it back was my way to deal
A whole year later 
And I'm still not sure it was real... -






(Both of these pictures were taken a year ago today)


How lucky am I to have known such an amazing woman? To have her daughter as one of my closest friends? 
I do not think I would be who I am today if I hadn't known the Wilson family. 
Karen was beautiful, inside and out. 
Plus, she raised my best friend. 
Who I honestly could not live without. 
I cannot put into words all of the memories I cherish of Karen. 
I'll remember her always and love her forever. 
❤️



2 comments: