Thursday, August 22, 2013

New York Style Cheese Cake by Kelcey

My friend, Mackenzie, and I decided to try to make our FAVORITE desert... CHEESE CAKE.
So over the past week I spent HOURS researching different recipes and reading about what makes a great cheese cake.
Baking is one of my passions. And one of the few things I do well. So I get really excited about new recipes.
BUT I didn't want to just bake any old cheese cake I wanted to take what other people put into their recipes and create something of my own. I took bits and pieces from about 15 different recipes and combined them in to my very own recipe. WHICH turned out rather amazingly, especially for it being mine and Kenzie's first attempt.

Now this recipe is not for the "faint of heart" (or those who are on diets!)... It is LOADED with all the good stuff; Sugar, butter, and cream cheese. AND takes about 2hrs and 35mins to bake.
It is a LOT of work but my personal opinion... IT IS TOTALLY WORTH IT! :)
So here goes nothing...


Crust:
2 cups crushed graham crackers (about 15 crackers)
4 Table spoons butter
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)


Filling:
5 whole eggs PLUS one egg yolk -room temp.
1 3/4 cups sour cream -room temp.
5 8oz packages of cream cheese -room temp.
1 stick  UNSALTED butter -room temp.
2 Tablespoons Heavy whipping cream -room temp.
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 Tablespoon flour
2 teaspoons Almond Extract (or vanilla if you prefer)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. 
Crust:
Butter and flour either 2 9inch rounds or a cheese cake pan if you have one.
Mix crushed graham crackers, butter, and cinnamon. Press into bottom and sides of pan(s). Bake for 7 minutes.
After Crust has baked raise oven temp to 475 degrees F.

Filling:
Combine cream cheese, sour cream, sugar, cornstarch, flour, and eggs. Mix until creamy, add in almond (or vanilla) extract. Then hand mix in heavy whipping cream just until blended. Pour filling over crust.
Bake for 10 minutes at 475 degrees. REDUCE oven temp to 200 degrees F. continue baking for 1 hour, then turn off oven and let cake sit in oven for 1 additional hour.
Remove from oven and let cool on counter or in refrigerator for 1 hour (over night in refrigerator is best).

(sorry my pictures aren't the best)


Add your choice of topping (or no topping is just as good! :) ) and ENJOY!





1 comment: